Q. 594.2( 13 Votes )
State any five physical properties of metals and five physical properties of non-metals.
1) metals are malleable, which mean metals can be beaten into thin sheets.
2) Property of ductility, which mean metals can be drawn into thin wires.
3) Metals are lustrous.
4) Property of hardness.
5) Property of conductivity, metals are good conductor of electricity and heat.
Five property of non-metals.
1) Generally non-metals are soft in nature.
2) Non-metals are bad conductor of heat and electricity, as they do not allow the flow of electricity or heat through them
3) Non-metals are not ductile in nature.
4) Non-metals cannot be beaten into thin sheets.
5) Non-metals do not have the property of luster.
Rate this question :
Explain the following statements:
i. Most metal oxides are insoluble in water but some of these dissolve in water. What are these oxides and their solutions in water called?
ii. At ordinary temperature, the surface of metals such as magnesium, aluminium and zinc, etc. is covered with a then layer. What is the composition of this layer? State its importance.
iii. Some alkali metals can be cut with a knife.Xam idea - Science
Why sodium chloride has high melting point?All In One Science
Metals are refined by using different methods. Which of the following metals are refined by electrolytic refining?
(iv) KNCERT - Science Exemplar
Silver articles become black on prolonged exposure to air. This is due to the formation ofNCERT - Science Exemplar
State reasons for the following observations:
(a) The shining surface of some metals becomes dull when exposed to air for a long time.
(b) Zinc fails to evolve hydrogen gas on reacting with dilute nitric acid.
(c) metal sulphides occur mainly in rocks but metal halides occur mostly in sea and lake waters.Together With Science