Q. 114.2( 17 Votes )
Read the para under the title ‘Erosion’ on page 20 and comment on it.
● Erosion is the wearing away of the surface of the Earth due to the action of natural forces, such as wind, water and glacier ice. These particles move from one place to another.
● It is different from weathering. Weathering is the process of breaking down of rocks and dissolving into tiny particles by chemical and physical processes.
● Erosion moves the weathered particles from one place to another through natural agents.
CAUSES OF EROSION :
● Water: The weathered rocks and other particles are carried from one place to another by rainfall and other flowing water to low elevated areas.
● Wind: The movement of air with force is called wind. It usually blows from a high-pressure area to a low-pressure area. The weathered rocks move from one place to another due to the wind.
● Ice: Ice forms when the temperature drops. This type of ice sheet erodes mounting surfaces. When it slides down, it also takes away the eroded rocks with it.
● Waves: Waves are the moving ridges in a water body. This movement creates Kinetic energy which is capable of transferring sand particles to different places.
EFFECTS OF EROSION:
● Repeated erosion washes away the topsoil which has the maximum nutrients necessary for the growth of the plant. Thus, there is a reduction in the fertility of the soil.
● Erosion leads to deposition on the roads. this intervenes with the transportation lines. The cost to manage the transport also increases.
● It can cause landslides and damage the buildings, and the residents of that area. The government has to incur a significant cost for the rehabilitation.
● Young plants may not make it to maturity time
● It leads to a loss of fertilisers, pesticides and insecticides.
● It leads to deposition in the drains and thus, disrupting the drainage system
● If these deposits are accumulated near the water bodies. it may damage the water ecosystem.
Rate this question :
How is the human lifestyle responsible for the extension of deserts?Telangana Board - Social Science
Why are Glaciers not found in your surrounding?Telangana Board - Social Science
How are Beaches formed and name some Beaches?Telangana Board - Social Science
Draw a table as given below and fill information. And write a small paragraph to explain the similarities and difference that you can think of in the context of earth’s external changes. (if there is no information available in the text, leave the column blank)
List out the landforms due to the river work.Telangana Board - Social Science
How is the lithosphere formed?Telangana Board - Social Science
Read the para under the title ‘Erosion’ on page 20 and comment on it.Telangana Board - Social Science
How are the continental plates formed and how are they eventually destroyed?Telangana Board - Social Science
Find the odd out in the context of the lithosphere and give a reason for your choice Byson gorge; Grand Canyon; Ozone; Thar desert.Telangana Board - Social Science
Find out the order of the landforms for the following:Telangana Board - Social Science