Q. 24.3( 49 Votes )
Read the newspaper report to find the following facts about the Columbia’s ill-fated voyage.
1. Date and place of lift off: _________________________
2. Number of astronauts on board: ___________________
3. Number of days it stayed in space: _________________
4. Number of experiments done by scientists: ___________
5. Date of return journey: ___________________________
6. Height at which it lost contact: _____________________
1. Date and place of lift-off: Columbia had lifted off on 16 January 2003, from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida
2. Number of astronauts on board: It had a seven-member crew on board
3. Number of days it stayed in space: It stayed in the orbit for 16 days
4. Number of experiments done by scientists: 80 experiments had been done by scientists
5. Date of return journey: Saturday, 1st February 2003
6. Height at which it lost contact: It was flying at an altitude of over 200,000 feet
Rate this question :
Describe Kalpana Chawla’s first mission in space. (5)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
What abilities must an astronaut have, according to the journalist? (6)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
What does Kalpana Chawla say about pursuing a dream? Do you agree with her that success is possible? (7)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Given below are some words that are spelled differently in British and American English. Fill in the blanks accordingly.
Do you have a ‘dream’, or something you very much wish to do? Write a paragraph saying what you want or wish to do. Then say (in another paragraph) how you think you can make your dream come true.NCERT English - Honeysuckle
In her message to students of her college, Kalpana Chawla said, “May you have the vision to find the path from dreams to success … Wishing you a great journey.”
Form pairs. Use “May you …” and “I wish you / Wishing you” to wish your partner good luck and success in
(i) a sports event,
(ii) a quiz or a completion, and
(iii) a test or examination.
Be sure to thank your partner when she/he wishes you in turn. You may also look up a telephone directory, or go to a post office, and get a list in English and Hindi of standard phrases that can be sent in greeting telegrams anywhere in India. Discuss which of these you might use, and when. Compare the English and Hindi phrases for expressing good wishes. Do you know such phrases in any other language?NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Add ‘un’ – to the words below to make their opposites. Then look up the meanings of the words you have formed in the dictionary.
1. identified ______________
2. controlled ______________
3. attended ______________
4. successful ______________
5. important ______________
6. educated ______________
7. interesting ______________
8. qualified ______________
9. trained ______________
10. answerable ______________NCERT English - Honeysuckle
A space shuttle is a spacecraft that is made for repeated space travel (unlike a rocket), for example, between earth and a space station.NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Use a dictionary to do the tasks below.
Find out the meaning of the following words and phrases (look up the words underlined in the phrases).
(a) Naturalized U. S. citizen ___________________________
(b) space __________
(c) frontiers of space ______________
(d) aboard _______________
(e) Lift off (How is it different from ‘take off’ ?) __________________
(f) crew ________________NCERT English - Honeysuckle
How did she become an astronaut? What gave her the idea that she could be an astronaut? (3)NCERT English - Honeysuckle