Q. 13.8( 6 Votes )
Read the followin
(1) Rafflesia is called the largest flower in the world because the flower is very big, bold and beautiful. It is boasted with the title of largest flower in the world. This is because it can grow into massive proportions. The flower has the diameter of up to one meter and can weigh up to 11 kg.
(2) Rafflesia is nicknamed as a corpse flower because it smells like a rotten mean and is not very endearing as expected.
(3) It cannot be used as a gift for someone because of its smell like rotten meat and thus must not sound very pleasing to all. It is therefore nicknamed as corpse flower. Thus, being the largest flower it is of no use as a gift.
(4) The smell of the flower can be useful in a way that the smell is used to attract insect that might be helpful in pollination. Thus, pollination can be processed with the help of the smell of the flower.
(5) Rafflesia is called a parasite because it has parasitic tendencies i.e. it lives off the water and nutrients from the hapless Tetrastigma vine. Also, the flower has a tendency to grow as large as it does.
(6) Rafflesia flowers are generally found in the dwindling rainforests of Sumatra and Borneo.
(7) Rafflesia in full bloom is a rare sight because there are only a few buds that actually bloom and it takes many months to do so. And once they bloom they last only for few days before dying.
(8) There are various conservation efforts being done to protect the flowers. This is done so that the future generations can experience the sight and smell of the largest flower on the Earth.
Rate this question :