1. Agriculture is considered a seasonal activity because it is highly dependent on the weather conditions. Each crop requires some mandatory climatic conditions for consolidation and thus it is generally not possible to grow them in unfavorable weather. Also as the crops once sowed needs time to mature and ready for harvest, thus it provides only seasonal employment.
2. Ramu remains unemployed for about four months because agriculture is a seasonal activity, and he didn’t have much land to grow different kind of crops. Being a poor farmer he didn’t have money to invest in other works as well so he has no other options rather than sitting idle or doing some petty jobs during four months period.
3. Ramu looks for other works like brick lying or construction when he is unemployed for 4 months. These jobs allow him to earn just enough to keep his family fed and clothed.
4. Ramu’s eldest son Somu and Ramu’s wife Sunhari bring the supplementing incomes in the family. His son Somu works as a help in the field. Sunhari works as a house help and occasionally also works in the fields to earn something extra in cash or kind.
5. Ramu faces difficulty when he is unable to find work because during the time of unemployment it becomes very difficult to arrange money for food and other necessities of the family. Also being poor, they don’t have any savings to rely upon.
6. Ramu is food insecure at the times when he is unemployed. This situation makes it difficult for him and his family to arrange for food, as unemployment is followed by lack of monetary resources.
Rate this question :