Q. 145.0( 2 Votes )
What measures wer
Maximilian Robespierre was the leader of the most successful political club known as the Jacobin club which had derived its name from St. Jacob in Paris. He believed that all those who stood up against the Republic were his enemies like nobles, clergy, and members of the opposite party and also imprisoned these peoples. He undertook various measures to bring equality to the French Society which were:
• All those whom he considered enemies were imprisoned and Guillotined when they found guilty by the court. Guillotine is a device invented by Dr Guillotin which has two poles and a blade which was used to behead the person.
• He introduced such laws which placed the maximum ceiling on wages and prices. They also rationed the meat and the bread.
• The prices of the grains were fixed, and farmers were forced to transport grains to the cities and sell according to the prices fixed by the government.
• People were made to eat bread (equality bread) made of whole wheat.
• Equality was maintained through the speech and address like the traditional way of calling Monsieur (Sir), and Madame (Madam) was stopped, and all French men and women were Citoyen and Citoyenne (Citizen).
• Buildings were converted into barracks or in offices and churches were closed down.
Thus, all these measures were followed by Maximilian Robespierre in such as that even his supporters wanted a little moderation.
Rate this question :