Q. 124.0( 6 Votes )
Solve the equatio
Given: equation .
To find: Roots by completing the square method.
For equation: ax2 + bx + c = 0, a ≠ 0
1) Make the coefficient of x unity by dividing throughout by it or if not, unity obtain .
2) Shift the constant term on RHS to get,
3) Add square of half of the coefficient of x on both sides of the equation:
4) Write LHS as the perfect square of a binomial expression and simplify RHS to get,
5) Take square on both sides to get,
6) Obtain the values of x by shifting the constant term on RHS.
To make the coefficient of x2 unity divide the equation by 2,
Shift the constant term on RHS to get,
Add square of half of the coefficient of x i.e. on both sides of the equation,
As (a - b)2=a2 + b2 - 2ab
Now make the LHS perfect square:
⇒ x = 3 and x = 1/2
Hence the roots are 3 and 1/2.
Rate this question :