Q. 15.0( 1 Vote )
Organisms at a higher trophic level have less energy available. Comment.
The organisms at a higher level have less energy available as compared to the lower trophic level organism. This can be explained by the 10 percent law which states that each successive higher trophic level organism transfers 10% of its energy and the rest of the 90% energy is consumed for various metabolic processes like respiration, thermoregulation, osmoregulation, etc.
Rate this question :
The number of trophic levels in an ecosystem are limited. Comment.Biology - Exemplar
Name an omnivore which occurs in both grazing food chain and the decomposer food chain.Biology - Exemplar
Organisms at a higher trophic level have less energy available. Comment.Biology - Exemplar
In relation to energy transfer in ecosystem, explain the statement "10kg of deer's meat is equivalent to 1 kg of lion's flesh".Biology - Exemplar
Apart from plants and animals, microbes form a permanent biotic component in an ecosystem. While plants have been referred to as autotrophs and animals as heterotrophs, what are microbes referred to as? How do the microbes fulfil their energy requirements?Biology - Exemplar