Q. 35.0( 2 Votes )
Neurospora - an ascomycetes fungus has been used as a biological tool to understand the mechanism of plant genetics much in the same way as Drosophila has been used to study animal genetics. What makes Neurospora so important as a genetic tool?
Due to following reasons Neurospora is used as a genetic tool :
• Fastest growing in vitro, can be grown in minimal media.
• Due to its haploid nature it can express both dominant as well as recessive traits.
• Analysis of genetic combination is facilitated by the ordered sequence of the products in the form of eight ascospores [result of meiosis and mitosis].
• Release of ascospores per ascus takes place systematically i.e. one by one, so that single ascospores in an orderly sequence can be isolated in successive single spore culture.
• All the seven chromosomes of Nuerospora are either telocentric and achrocentric. Hence genes can be easily mapped.
Rate this question :
There is a myth that immediately after heavy rains in forest, mushrooms appear in large number and make a very large ring or circle, which may be several metres in diameter. These are called as ‘Fairy rings’. Can you explain this myth of fairy rings in biological terms?Biology - Exemplar
Neurospora - an ascomycetes fungus has been used as a biological tool to understand the mechanism of plant genetics much in the same way as Drosophila has been used to study animal genetics. What makes Neurospora so important as a genetic tool?Biology - Exemplar
At a stage of their cycle, ascomycetes fungi produce the fruiting bodies like apothecium, perithecium or cleistothecium. How are these three types of fruiting bodies different from each other?Biology - Exemplar
Fungi are cosmopolitan. Write the role of fungi in your daily life.Biology - Exemplar
A dikaryon is formed whenBiology - Exemplar
Members of phycomycetes are found in
i. Aquatic habitats
ii. On decaying wood
iii. Moist and damp places
iv. As obligate parasites on plants Choose from the following
Biology - Exemplar
The five-kingdom classification was proposed byBiology - Exemplar