Q. 85.0( 1 Vote )
Name the male and female sex hormones. List out their functions.
Male sex hormone- Testosterone is the male sex hormone secreted by the leydig cells of the testis.
The function of testosterone-
● It is responsible for the masculine characteristics.
● It stimulates the growth of male reproductive organs- There is enlargement of penis, scrotum, and testis.
● It also regulates the formation of sperms.
● It is also responsible for the excessive body hair growth in the men.
● The characteristic thick skin that men have lacking softness is due to this hormone only.
● The low pitch voice that males have is also due to this hormone.
Female sex hormones- Oestrogen and progesterone are two female sex hormones secreted by the ovary.
Functions of oestrogen-
● It causes the growth of the female reproductive organs- There is growth in the size of the uterus, vagina, and fallopian tubes. etc.
● It is also responsible for the growth of the breasts.
● It is responsible for the feminine characteristics.
● It is responsible for the pubic and axillary hair growth in females and does not cause dense hair growth as males have.
● It is responsible for the soft skin of women.
● It is also responsible for the high pitch voice in females.
Functions of Progesterone-
● It also regulates the growth of the breasts in females.
● It helps in regulation of the menstrual cycle in females.
● It also helps in maintaining pregnancy in females.
Rate this question :
Name the male and female sex hormones. List out their functions.Tamil Nadu Board - Science