Various bactaria, fungi and cyanobactaria are used in organic farming instead of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Biofertilizers are organisms that help in enriching the soil with nutrients.
• Rhizobium, Azospirillum and Azotobacter help in nitrogen fixation and hence, enrich the soil with nitrogen.
• Fungi such as mycorrhiza form symbiont relationship with plants and absorbs phosphorus from soil and passes it to the plant.
• Cyanobactaria help in nitrogen fixation and is an important biofertilizer.
• Blue green algae adds organic matter to the soil.
• Bio-pesticides such as Bacillus thuringiensis produces a toxin that kills the insect pests
• Baculoviruses are bio-pesticide that is used as a biological control agent against insects and other arthropods.
Rate this question :