Q. 24.7( 3 Votes )
List out the various parts of the human brain and write a note on their functions.
Human brain is divided into three parts- Forebrain, Midbrain and Hindbrain. And all these are further classified into their subparts.
This picture represents the different parts of brain.
Parts of brain along their functions are written below sequentially –
A. FOREBRAIN- It consists of three sub parts- Cerebrum, Thalamus and Hypothalamus.
● Cerebrum- It forms the major part of the human brain as represented in the diagram. Cerebrum is divided into two parts termed as Left and Right cerebral hemispheres. Corpus collosum establishes a connection between two hemispheres.
Cerebral cortex exhibits grey colour due to the presence of non medullated neurons and white matter of cerebrum is white due to the presence of medullated neurons.
Functions associated with cerebrum-
● The cerebrum is the conscious mind which controls our thinking, imagination processes.
● It controls all voluntary actions.
● Cerebrum contains different centers for all our senses. There are different centers in cerebrum for taste, smell, hearing, vision.
● Thalamus- It is also a part of forebrain around which the cerebrum remains present.
Function of thalamus-
It controls and coordinates the signal and impulse transmission in sensory and motor neurons.
● Hypothalamus- It is present beneath the thalamus region.
Functions of the hypothalamus-
It controls all our emotions and feelings like love, anger, sadness.
It is also responsible for regulation of sexual behaviour.
Our body temperature, thirst, hunger all are regulated by the hypothalamus.
B. MIDBRAIN- As the name suggests it is located between the middle of forebrain and hindbrain. Therefore, it is called midbrain. Midbrain along with the Hindbrain forms the brain stem which is an extension from midbrain which through hind brain joins to the spinal cord and is called Brain stem.
Midbrain consists of Corpora quadrigemina.
● Corpora quadrigemina- It consists of four bodies therefore known as quadrigemina where quad stands for four. It is located at the distal portion of the midbrain. It is divided into two parts where upper two calculi (spherical structures) are called superior calculi and lower calculi are called inferior calculi.
Functions of corpora quadrigemina-
They are involved in the regulation of reflexes associated with the vision, hearing.
C. HINDBRAIN- It consists of three subparts – Pons, Cerebellum and Medulla oblongata.
● Pons- It acts as a connection. It along with connecting different portions of cerebellum also connects cerebrum and cerebellum.
Functions of pons-
It regulates our sleep.
Due to the formation of a connection between forebrain and cerebellum helps in sharing of information received by the parts of the brain.
● Cerebellum- It is just present in the cerebrum part of the forebrain.
Functions of the cerebellum-
It regulates the movement of our limbs.
● Medulla oblongata- This part joins with the spinal cord and forms the brain stem. It is located between the pons and brain stem.
Functions of Medulla oblongata-
It controls various involuntary activities like breathing, heart beating etc.
Rate this question :
One of the following is a part of the brain stem. Pick it out.Tamil Nadu Board - Science
The part of brain which controls emotional reactions in our body is __________.Tamil Nadu Board - Science
A person was riding a two-wheeler without wearing a helmet. He met with an accident and sustained a head injury. He was dead before he was shifted to the hospital and it was found that his death was due to breathlessness and heart failure. Which part of his brain might have been damaged? Justify your answer.Tamil Nadu Board - Science
List out the various parts of the human brain and write a note on their functions.Tamil Nadu Board - Science
Match these parts with their functions:-
medulla oblongata, cerebellum, forebrain, thalamus, cerebral cortex, hind brain, pons, hypothalamus
a) Sleep centre and respiratory centre
b) Several reflexes involved in the regulation of heart beat, blood vessel contraction, breathing etc
c) Consists of the cerebrum, thalamus, and hypothalamus
d) Motor and sensory areas
e) A major conducting center for sensory and motor signaling
f) Regulation of sexual behaviour
g) Consists of pons, cerebellum and medulla oblongata
h) Co-ordinates the group movements of voluntary muscles, as in walking or runningTamil Nadu Board - Science
Use words from the given list to complete the following paragraph. (The words may be used once/ more than once / not at all).
(Skull, Vertebral column, Piamater, Arachnoid membrane, Brain, Spinal cord, Meninges, Duramater)
The central nervous system is covered by three protective coverings collectively called _______. The outermost cover lying below the ______ and ______ is double thick and is called ________. The middle covering is thin and vascularised and is called _______. The innermost cover is a very thin delicate membrane and is closely stretched over the outer surface of _____and ____ and is called __________.Tamil Nadu Board - Science
Observe the diagram of the human brain and identify the areas mentioned:
i) The area responsible for consciousness, intelligence, memory, imagination and reasoning.
ii) The area responsible for regulation and co-ordination of group movements of voluntary muscles.
iii) The area responsible for sleeping and respiration.
iv) The area responsible for reflexes involved in the regulation of heart beat, blood vessel contraction, breathing etcTamil Nadu Board - Science
The diagram is of the human brain.
Shade the areas marked A and B in the parts of the brain, corresponding with the function.
A. Seat of smell
B. Seat of vision
Tamil Nadu Board - Science
Name the part of the brain which regulates heart beat and respiration. Where is it located in the brain?Tamil Nadu Board - Science
What is corpora quadrigemina? Name the functions associated with it.Tamil Nadu Board - Science