Q. 45.0( 1 Vote )
“Last, but not th
● The different ways in our lifestyles have affected the environment are :
1. The population has been increasing over the years. This is due to the fall in mortality rate and improvement in medicine.
2. The increase in population has indirectly implied the increase in the use of fossil fuels which further damages the ecosystem.
3. The increase in pollution has further aggravated the problem either in the form of throwing waste on the highway or the million metric tons of waste dumped into the water. Presently 2.4 people do have access to clean water resources.
4. The increase in the level of global warming,
5. The increase in global warming has lead to an increase in the level of climatic change over the years of the earth.
6. Ocean acidification is increasing. This is caused when carbon dioxide dissolves into the ocean bonding with water to create carbonic acid.
7. People tend to throw waste into the water. Every year 1 billion tons of garbage is dumped into the ocean.
8. With the increase in the population, there is an increased requirement for shelter, food and other materials. This has led to an increase in the level of deforestation.
9. When humans burn coal, Sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide are released into the atmosphere where they rise up and accumulate with the clouds until the clouds fall on the ground in the form of acid rain. This type of rain damages the ecosystem as well as eliminate an entire species of animals.
10. The ozone layer has depleted over the years.
● The increased level of development in the world has become a challenge for maintaining the environment due to the improper disposal of garbage. But many developed countries have incorporated different types of modern techniques of waste management. They have also adopted it as the main source of their energy. They have focused on recycle and reuse as the main motto for the ecosystem. They have also developed different types of environmental friendly goods such as the eco friendly cars. They also imposed strict regulatory laws for protection to the environment.
In the context of India, different measures are to be adopted for the rural areas and urban areas.
In the rural areas disposal of waste can be undertaken by either composting or vermiculture.
COMPOSTING: Composting is the process by which different types of domestic waste such as grass, leftover food, leaves extra are collected. Next, a pit is dug up to prepare manure out of this garbage. The size of the pit depends upon the amount of garbage to be used. Village households can put all the domestic garbage into this space. The manure will be ready in approximately six months. This manure is removed from the pit and is used for cultivation.
There are many advantages to this method such as it prevents pollution caused by rotting of garbage,and help to increase the yield in the field.
Vermiculture: Vermiculture is the process of decomposition of organic matter by microorganisms under controlled conditions. In this method, the manual is prepared by decomposition of organic waste such as leaf, grass and food garbage which is set in motion by earthworms. A layer of organic waste is laid in a wooden box or soil pit and some earthworms are released over it. Again garbage is put on top of it and water is sprayed on it. The earthworms consume a large quantity of organic waste and make compost. This is very important to sustain soil fertility.
Garbage disposal in urban areas is the main responsibility of municipalities. they have to arrange a proper system for disposal. However, the citizens also need to act responsibly to ensure that this type of work goes on smoothly. If waste management is done by adopting modern techniques, the environment can be protected from pollution.
Scientific waste management: For the proper waste disposal, we have to deal with this problem in four phases :
i) reduce the amount of waste generated per person
ii) recycle and reuse
iii)Biogas and organic manure would be produced from the remains after recycling and reusing.
iv) The remaining waste should be used to make fuel for electricity. This would save the fossil fuels and reduce the number of greenhouse gases emitted in the atmosphere.
Rate this question :
Should the averagAP Board - Social Studies
“Last, but not thAP Board - Social Studies
Identify at leastAP Board - Social Studies
What are the lessAP Board - Social Studies
“This is the landAP Board - Social Studies
“Environment is cAP Board - Social Studies
Why do you thinkAP Board - Social Studies
Why did the peoplAP Board - Social Studies
Rapid extractionAP Board - Social Studies