Water pollution is becoming a social concern. Human activities such as industrial waste and also the increase in population have led to degradation in the quality of water.
1. Sewage disposal – Wastewater from domestic household and industries are not properly channelised and remains untreated.
2. Urban run-off – The urban runoff is the major source of water pollution. The pollutants such as pesticides and fertilizers mixed in that pose a serious threat to the aquatic life.
3. Toxic effluents – Due to the expansion of industries, toxins and other chemicals from
4. industrial waste pollute water thus making it hazardous to human life.
5. Fertilizers – Modern day farming uses chemicals and fertilizers to increase agricultural productivity in order to satisfy the needs of the ever-increasing population. Usage of these products
6. Cultural activities such as pilgrimage, religious fairs, tourism etc., also cause water pollution.
7. Industries such as leather, pulp and paper, textiles and chemicals are the major water polluting industries.
Thus, it can be rightly said that industrial expansion and increased population are the main reasons for the poor quality of water these days.
Rate this question :