Q. 204.7( 3 Votes )
Indian railways are one of the longest and largest networks in the world.
1. Mahatma Gandhi said that Indian railways had brought people of diverse culture together to contribute to the Indian freedom struggle.
2. The first railway line was constructed between Bombay to Thane covering a distance of 34 km.
3. The Indian Railways which was introduced in the year 1853, has a network of nearly 64000 km.
4. Indian railways are easily accessible by passengers of all classes and communities thus bringing them closer while travelling to long distances.
5. Railways help in the smooth movement of goods and services thereby boosting the economy.
6. The Indian Railways has nearly sixteen zones which connect people of different regions, language and culture.
Thus, the Indian railways are the main means of transport for all sections of people.
Rate this question :