Q. 22 A4.8( 5 Votes )
India has one of
Roadways have an edge over railways in India because of the following reasons –
1. The cost of constructing roads is much lower than that of the railways. Therefore, they prove to be cost-effective.
2. Roads can traverse more dissected and undulating topography in comparison to railways. They can also negotiate higher gradients of slopes and can traverse mountains such as the Himalayas.
3. Road transport is economical in transporting few persons and relatively small amount of goods over short distances.
4. Roadways tend to provide door-to-door service, and therefore the cost of loading and unloading is much lower.
5. The system of road transportation increasingly provides a link to other modes of transport such as they provide a link between railway stations, air and sea ports.
NOTE – India has one of the largest road networks in the world, about 2.3 million km. Roadways have preceded the Railways because of the overall low maintenance and construction costs along with other advantages in terms of convenience.
Rate this question :