Q. 115.0( 1 Vote )
In what sense can one say that ‘disability’ is as much a social as a physical thing?
Those who had physically or mentally challenged are not disable only due to this reason but also because the society does not accept them as normal persons.
The social perception about disability all over the world are -
• It is biological and has come due to some past karma.
• The disabled person cannot solve his/her problems as others.
• They are seen as victims.
• It is supposed to be linked with the self-perception of the disabled individual.
• They always need help.
• “Bechara” attitude for disable person.
They too suffered social exclusion. From very recent it has been started to include them with other peoples in society and the major reforms in this field are though quite few but still has started and are –
• They are no more called disabled but differently abled
• Many service sectors have been directed to reserve jobs for them, etc.
Rate this question :
Explain the three key principles of social stratification with examples.Sociology - Board Papers