Q. 44.1( 14 Votes )
In a flower
The major changes which take place after fertilization are as follows:
1. The ovary of the flower gets converted to the flesh of the fruit.
2. The ovule gets converted to the seeds of the fruit.
3. The sepals and petals of the flower dry up and hence wither away.
1. In biological terms, fertilization is a process in which the male gamete [male reproductive cell] fuse with the female gamete [female reproductive cell] to form a zygote.
2. In terms of fertilization process in flowering plants, it is called double fertilization as two male nuclei in the pollen grains fertilize with the egg and the polar nuclei to form zygote and endosperm.
3. The fertilization process in flowering plants is described in the diagram as follows:
4. After fertilization, a series of major events take place which results in the formation of fruit.
Rate this question :