(i) Which o
• Keratin is the biomolecule which is insoluble in water.
• Keratin is a family of fibrous structural proteins which is the key structural material for building up the outer layer of our skin.
• It is also the key structural component of hair and nails.
• Keratin monomers assemble into bundles to form intermediate filaments, which are tough and insoluble and form strong unmineralized tissues( found in reptiles, birds, mammals etc.)
• In glucose ring there are 5 carbon atoms (main chain) and 1 O atom .
• α-D-Glucopyranose the –OH group on C-1 atom on the ring is present below the plane of the ring(which is the only difference with β D-Glucopyranose).
• The Haworth structure for α-D-Glucopyranose is :
• Like aldehydes glucose responds to the following reactions ;
• Reduces Fehling's reagent, reacts with hydroxylamine to form oxime & reacts with HCN to form cyanohydrins also reduces tollen’s reagent .
• But the most important reaction which indicates of the presence of an aldehyde group is the reaction where glucose gets oxidised gluconic acid on reaction with mild oxidising agents like bromine water.
Rate this question :