Q. 65.0( 2 Votes )
How were the superpowers benefited by military alliances?
The two superpowers, USSR and USA, made military and strategic alliances with other smaller countries to get benefits in various forms be it political, economic, geographical and social. The west formalized its alliances in an organization known as North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in April 1949 and established a regional military, and strategic alliances like South East Asian Treaty Organization (SEATO) and Central Treaty Organization (CENTO) and USSR formed similar alliances and signed the Warsaw Pact in 1955.
The smaller states were helpful for the superpowers in gaining access to:
1) Vital resources, such as oil and minerals for their sustenance.
2) Territory, from where the superpowers could launch their weapons and troops.
3) Economic support, such as meeting their huge military expenses including the food, clothing, living, and armaments of the soldiers.
4) Locations from where they could spy on each other’s actions to prevent any attack.
5) Markets for their products and places to safely invest their capital.
6) To spread their ideologies to every corner of the world. The USA wanted to spread democratic and capitalist system while the USSR wanted to expand its ideology of communism.
The loyalty of the allies suggested that the two superpowers were successful in establishing their control and winning the war of ideas as well, that liberal democracy and capitalism was better than socialism or vice versa.
Rate this question :
Observe the graph-2 of page 288 and answer the following.
i) Which country’s Military expenditure is higher?
ii) What do you observe in the military expenditures of the two countries as a percent ofTelangana Board - Social Science
Locate the following on the map of the world.
v) Latin America
vi) AfghanistanTelangana Board - Social Science
What was the nature of the shift in power in the world after the Second World War?Telangana Board - Social Science
By the end of the 20th century, there is only one single power that dominates the world. In this context, what do you think would be the role of NAM?Telangana Board - Social Science
Given the idea of democracy, do you think a few countries should have special powers in making the decisions?Telangana Board - Social Science
“Formation of NAM was not merely in the context of military alliances but also in the context of economic policies.” Justify the statement.Telangana Board - Social Science
How did the Cold War produce arms race as well as arms control?Telangana Board - Social Science
How were the superpowers benefited by military alliances?Telangana Board - Social Science
What are the different roles played by the United Nations in order to build peace in the world?Telangana Board - Social Science
“The ethnic conflicts affected India’s relations with Sri Lanka.” Justify.Telangana Board - Social Science