Q. 75.0( 2 Votes )
How is a democracy a better form of government in comparison with other forms of governments? Explain. (CBSE 2014)
Democracy is a better form of government in comparison to other forms of government because of the following reasons –
1. Democracy allows for regular, free and fair elections and formal democratic institutions to enforce the code of conduct in every respect.
2. It provides for open public debate on major policies and legislations of the government along with proper mechanisms to keep the government and its functioning in check. For example- Right to Information (RTI).
3. A democratic government is attentive to the needs of its citizens and is accountable to the general public for all its actions because of the fact that, a democracy is a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
4. Democratic government is a legitimate government as it is the people’s government. Although, it may be slow or less efficient in decision making, but it sets a broad framework of intense debate in formulating policies of administering the affairs of the general public.
5. Despite its disadvantages over advantages, democracy is considered to be the most effective and development-oriented form of government and the ability to generate its own support is in itself a great achievement of democracy.
Rate this question :
As an ordinary citizen, what value would you practice in deepening democracy?Together With Social Science
How can the principle of democracy be applied to all sphere of life?Together With Social Science
How would you like to expand the definition of democracy? Explain.Together With Social Science
Examination the features of democracy in its expanded form.Together With Social Science
What is the first priority in a democracy?Together With Social Science
What is a foundational challenge of democracy?Full Marks - Social Science
Name any two democratic countries that face the challenge of expansion.Full Marks - Social Science