Q. 234.0( 4 Votes )
How do the large companies manipulate the market? Explain with examples.[CBSE 2015]
Large companies can manipulate the market:
1. Large companies have so much wealth and power that they are able to manipulate the market to make profits.
2. Many times, they advertise false information through the media so that consumers are attracted to the product.
3. These companies acquire greater strength when producers are few and consumers are scattered.
4. For example, a company that sold milk powder claimed for years that scientifically, it is better than mother’s milk. Years of battle finally made the company take back claims.
5. Without proper rules and regulations, companies go to any extent to sell products. For example, only after many years’ struggle, the cigarette companies accepted that it causes cancer.
Explanation: Large companies have enormous wealth and thereby, power. Their sole aim is to make a profit so there needs to be rules and regulations in place for consumers’ awareness.
Rate this question :
While shopping if you insist upon a bill for the purchase made, which three values would you display as a consumer?Together With Social Science
Critically examine the growth of consumer movement in India.
Why are defective or sub-standard goods available in the market? What steps could have been taken by the consumer groups to safeguard the interests of consumers?Together With Social Science
Mention any two ways of exploitation of consumers in the market.Together With Social Science