Democracies accommodate social diversity:
1. It provides an opportunity for a harmonious social life. For example, in Belgium, the differences between ethnic populations were negotiated.
2. No society can permanently resolve differences but democracy provides the opportunity to negotiate the differences and decide on what is better for everyone.
3. Non-democratic regimes usually just ignore the internal problems or suppress it.
4. Democracy ensures inclusion of every group including minorities and its interests in the decision making.
5. Democracy thereby reduces the chances of differences or conflicts becoming violent.
Explanation: Democracy chooses to prioritize the citizens hence it tries to resolve the conflicts rather than suppress the issues. However, it cannot cure such differences.
Rate this question :