Q. 104.0( 5 Votes )
How did the Europ
After the second world war, the European economy was aided by the cold war. Under the Marshall Plan, US extended massive financial support to the European economy.
• Under the Marshall Plan, the Organisation for European Economic Cooperation was established in 1998 channelling aid to the western European states. Its members were- France, west Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.
• Another way forward in political cooperation was the formation of the Council of Europe in 1949. The European Parliament was formed.
• In 1973, Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom joined the European Committee.
• In 1981, Greece joined EC.
• The Schengen agreement abolishing border controls among the EC members was signed in 1985.
• In 1986, Spain and Portugal join EC and in 1990 Germany is unified.
• The Treaty of Maastricht was signed in 1992 establishing the European Union and a single market was created.
This is how the European Union was formed.
Rate this question :