Q. 74.3( 83 Votes )
How did the British succeed in securing the submission of the rebel landowners of Awadh?
During 1857 widespread rebellion took place in Awadh. The villages took to arms and the landlords led them.
To securing the submission of the rebel landowners of Awadh they tried these methods:
1) The British tried their best to win back the loyalty of common masses.
2) They announced rewards for loyal landholders would be allowed to enjoy their traditional rights over their landholdings.
3) Those who rebelled were told that if they submitted to British and haven't killed any white people they would remain safe and their rights over their land would be safe.
4) On the one hand, they tried and hanged the rebels leaders who challenged their authority and could do so again in the future. On the other hand, The British also tried their best to win back the loyalties of the people. They announced rewards for those who would remain faithful to them.
5) They crushed the revolt with a heavy hand.
6) The British military generals also tried to recapture those places which once felt to the rules.
Rate this question :
What did the British do to protect the interests of those who converted to Christianity?NCERT - History Part-I
What was the demand of Rani Lakshmibai of Jhansi that was refused by the British?NCERT - History Part-I
In what ways did the British change their policies as a result of the rebellion of 1857?NCERT - History Part-I
How did the British succeed in securing the submission of the rebel landowners of Awadh?NCERT - History Part-I