Q. 34.3( 3 Votes )
How did colonial rule affect tribal lives?
The colonial rule affected the tribal lives in many ways which were:
• Tribal chief always remained a main member of the tribe. They enjoyed considerable authority like economic power, had the right to control and manage the territories. But when British interfered in their matters, the power of the chiefs reduced. They lost their administrative powers and had to follow the rules laid down by the British. They were also asked to pay tribute to the British and to control their people.
• Britishers didn’t like the shifting cultivators as they didn’t have any fixed income, home and it becomes difficult to control them. They wanted them to settle down so it becomes easy for the state to control them and to get hold of regular revenue.
• They also introduced land settlements so that they can fix the revenue and decided the right of each individual. This way they indirectly affected the tribal lives.
• Britishers introduced forest laws like controlled the forest land, reserved forests and declared forests as state property. All this affected the tribal lives as they were completely depended on the forests for food and livelihood.
• The Britishers to expand their trade came to the forest to buy forest produce, offered cash loans and also demanded wages. All this led to the tribal lives getting affected due to the colonial rule.
Rate this question :