Q. 263.9( 12 Votes )
How did a wave of economic nationalism strengthen the wider nationalist sentiment growing in Europe? Explain.
The wave of economic nationalism strengthen the wider nationalist sentiment growing in Europe due to the Following Reason:-
• The movement of liberalism started with the goal to achieve freedom of markets and to abolish restrictions imposed on the movement of goods and capital.
• Napoleon introduced such administrative measures which created countless principalities. All these small principalities had their own system of currency, weights, and measures. So if the merchants had to travel across, he had to cross around 11 customs barriers and pay customs duty on each item which was 5% per item. This problem created a wave of Economic Nationalism.
• Duties on the goods were imposed on the basis of weights and measures. Also, different regions had their own system of weights and measures which were often time-consuming task.
• New Commercial classes demanded unified economic territory to allow the movement of goods, people and capital without any hindrance.
• In 1834, Zollverein or customs union was established by the Prussia, and most of the German states joined this. According to this, tariff barriers were abolished, and the number of currencies was reduced from thirty to two.
• Railway system was created, and it improved mobility which controlled the Economic interests of the people; ultimately strengthened the nationalist sentiment of the people.
Rate this question :
The Balkan issue became one of the major factors responsible for the First World War. Explain by giving examples.All In One - History
‘The development of nationalism did not come about only through wars and territorial expansion.’All In One - History
How did a wave of economic nationalism strengthen the wider nationalist sentiment growing in Europe? Explain.All In One - History
Explain how did the 18th and 19th-century artist begin personifying a nation in allegory.All In One - History
What was the impact of Act of the union on Scotland?All In One - History
Describe any four features of the Vienna Treaty of 1815 in Brief.All In One - History