Q. 164.5( 13 Votes )
Green Revolution was a unique event in the agricultural history of Independent India. This saved Indians from the disasters of hunger and starvation and made peasants more confident. But it has its own demerits:
1. Caused Land degradation and salination of land due to excessive irrigation.
2. The seeds demanded water and Decreased the ground-water table.
3. The revolution Was more successful in North-western states of Punjab and Haryana, thus creating inter-regional skewed economic development.
4. The seeds Increased the input cost to farming, thus badly affecting small farmers, who fell into debt trap due to the high cost of seeds, fertilizers, and pesticides.
5. Eutrophication due to excessive use of fertilizers, poisoning of food due to pesticides, development of super-pests became a common phenomenon.
Rate this question :
How is food securNCERT - Economics