(a) Ways in which awareness can be brought amongst the students to reduce air pollution –
• Organizing Workshops to educate students about the causes and hazards of air pollution and the ways to control it.
• Making environmental studies a compulsory part of school curriculum.
• Educating them about the various policies and acts implemented by the government to control air pollution.
• Telling them about the catalytic converters and electric precipitators and the way they work to reduce the air pollution.
(b) The Government is promoting use of CNG/unleaded Petrol as a fuel for public and private cars, and buses etc.
• The vehicles have catalytic converters to reduce the emission of poisonous gases. Catalytic converters have expensive metals like platinum-palladium and rhodium as the catalysts. The vehicles equipped with catalytic converters should use the unleaded petrol because lead in the petrol inactivates the catalysts.
• CNG burns most efficiently, unlike petrol or diesel, in the automobiles and very little of it is left un-burnt. Also CNG is cheaper than petrol and diesel. It can’t be siphoned off by thieves and adulterated like petrol and diesel.
Rate this question :