Q. 95.0( 1 Vote )
Give various sources and harmful effects of soil pollution.
Soil pollution is defined as contamination of soil with toxic chemicals, pollutants, fertilizers and pesticides that make the soil unfit for plant growth and degrade its quality.
● Waste products from man made activities are full of chemicals that are not originally found in nature and lead to soil pollution. The by products from industries are contaminated and are not disposed off safely. This waste remains in the soil for a long time and make the soil unfit.
● Pesticides and fertilizers are full of chemicals that are not produced in nature and cannot be broken down. As a result, they seep into the ground and slowly reduce the fertility of the soil.
● Acid rain falls on soil and the aicds in the rain i.e. Sulphur and nitric oxides mix with the soil and dissolve the nutrients present in soil.
Soil pollution can lead to various harmful effects-
● Crops and plants grown on polluted soil absorb the chemicals from the polluted soil and then pass these on to us which can result in terminal diseases and also affect the genetic makeup of the body.
● The fertility of the slowly diminishes, making land unsuitable for agriculture.
● Soil pollution causes large tracts of land to become hazardous to health.
● Soil yield is also decreased due to decrease in soil fetility.
● Toxic chemicals emiited from polluted soil in landfills causes health problems.
Rate this question :
What is soil erosion? What are the methods of preventing or reducing soil erosion?Evergreen - Science
Give two effects of soil erosion.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
Fertilizers adn pesticides are harmful to soil as they kill the microorganisms involved in recycling of nutrients.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
Earthworms are .................which are involved in paedogenesis.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
Forest destruction results inDr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
Write a note on nitrogen fixation?Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
What is weathering? Elucidate in the various types of weathering.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
How do organisms contribute in the formation of soil?Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
What is soil erosion? Explain means of preventing it.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology
Give various sources and harmful effects of soil pollution.Dr. P.S. Verma & Dr. V.K. Agarwal - Biology