Q. 94.2( 160 Votes )
Give examples to show that friction is both a friend and a foe.
Friction acts friend:
1) If friction would not have been there, we would not have been able to walk.
2) Friction between the tip of the pen/pencil and a paper allows us to write.
3) It is necessary when you want to hold items and prevent slipping or sliding.
Friction as foe:
1) Tyres of cars and soles of shoes wear and tear out because of friction.
2) Friction between the different parts of machines produces heat. This can damage the machines.
3) Friction causes wearing of over-bridges at railway stations.
Rate this question :
What enables us to fix nails in a wall and knots to be tied?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Name the force which helps things to move and stop.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
What prevents you from slipping every time you take a step forward?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
When the cutting edge of a knife is put against a fast rotating stone to sharpen it, sparks are seen to fly. Explain the reason.NCERT - Science Exemplar
Why do kabaddi players rub their hands with dry soil?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Why do gymnasts apply a coarse substance to their hands?Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
State two advantages and two disadvantages of friction.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Alida runs her toy car on dry marble floor, wet marble floor, newspaper and towel spread on the floor. The force of friction acting on the car on different surfaces in increasing orderwill be
(a) wet marble floor, dry marble floor, newspaper and towel.
(b) newspaper, towel, dry marble floor, wet marble floor.
(c) towel, newspaper, dry marble floor, wet marble floor
(d) wet marble floor, dry marble floor, towel, newspaperNCERT - Science
Explain why, sportsmen use shoes with spikes.Lakhmir Singh & Manjit Kaur - Science
Explain why sportsmen use shoes with spikes.NCERT - Science