Q. 113.6( 11 Votes )
Give a quantitative appraisal of India’s demographic profile during the colonial period.
India's demographic profile during colonial period can be summarised as below –
1) High death rate and birth rate: Both death date and birth rate were very high at 40 and 48 per thousand of persons respectively.
2) High infant mortality rate: It was about 18 per thousand of live births.
3) Low life expectancy: It was as low as 32 years.
4) Illiteracy: It was about 83% of total population.
5) Low standard of living: Even after spending 80 to 90% of income on basic necessities people were not able to get adequate quantity of food, shelter and clothing.
Rate this question :
What was the focus of the economic policies pursued by the colonial government in India? What were the impacts of these policies?NCERT - Indian Economic Development
Critically appraise some of the shortfalls of the industrial policy pursued by the British colonial administration.NCERT - Indian Economic Development
What do you understand by the drain of Indian wealth during the colonial period?NCERT - Indian Economic Development
The traditional handicrafts industries were ruined under the British rule. Do you agree with this view? Give reasons in support of your answer.NCERT - Indian Economic Development
When was India’s first official census operation undertaken?NCERT - Indian Economic Development
What objectives did the British intend to achieve through their policies of infrastructure development in India?NCERT - Indian Economic Development
Indicate the volume and direction of trade at the time of independence.NCERT - Indian Economic Development
Highlight the salient features of India’s pre-independence occupational structure.NCERT - Indian Economic Development
Which is regarded as the defining year to mark the demographic transition from its first to the second decisive stage?NCERT - Indian Economic Development
What was the two-fold motive behind the systematic deindustrialisation effected by the British in pre-independent India?NCERT - Indian Economic Development