Q. 24.5( 14 Votes )
The Great Sparrow Campaign in China:
1. Mao Zedong introduced the Great Sparrow Campaign (part of Four Pests Campaign) where people were asked to kill all the sparrows to save grain.
2. Millions of sparrows died and this led to tremendous increase in insect population which in turn destroyed the crops.
3. After the crops got destroyed, millions of people in China died of starvation. It became one of the greatest tragedies of China.
1. Chipko movement began in 1970s in Northern Himalayas as a non-violent movement to save the trees from cutting.
2. The cutting of trees was a threat to the forest ecology and livelihood of the villagers. It was led by Sunderlal Bahuguna in 1980s.
3. The greatest achievement of the movement is the 15-years ban on felling of trees in the Himalayan region by the Uttarakhand government.
Rate this question :