Q. 14.2( 23 Votes )
Fill in the blanks in the sentences below with the words or phrases from the box. (You may not know the meaning of all the words. Look such words up in a dictionary or ask your teacher.)
1. Some people find household ___chores_______ a bore, but I like to help at home.
2. Who stole the diamond is still a __mystery_______.
3. This ___semester_______ we are going to have a class exhibition.
4. ________True to his words _ , the elf began to help Patrick.
5. Can you ___look up______ this word in the dictionary?
6. I started early to be on time, but I was __out of luck________ . There was a traffic jam!
7. She says she’s got a lot of books, but __between you and me_______ , I think most of them are borrowed.
4. True to his words
5. Look up
6. Out of luck
7. Between you and me
Rate this question :
Use the clues given below to complete this crossword puzzle.
1. very tired
2. had an angry look on the face
3. short trousers
4. a fault in a machine that prevents it from working properly
5. a small and naughty boy-fairy
6. work that must be done every day, often boring
7. a basket with a lid
8. gave a short, high-pitched cryNCERT English - Honeysuckle
What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was its really? (2)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
What was Patrick’s wish? (3)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
In what subjects did the little man need help to do Patrick’s homework? (5, 6)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
In the story, Patrick does difficult things he hates to do, because the elf pretends he needs help. Have you ever done something difficult or frightening, by pretending about it in some way? Tell your classmates about it.
Say what you feel about homework (The words and phrases in the boxes may help you.) Do you think it is useful, even though you may not like it? Form pairs, and speak to each other.
You may say, “I am not fond of homework.”
Your partner may reply, “But my sister helps me with my lessons at home, and that gives a boost to my marks”.
NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Look at this cartoon by R.K. Laxman. Read the sentences given below the cartoon. Discuss the following questions with your partner.
● What is it about?
● Do you find it funny? If so, why?
● Do you think a cartoon is a serious drawing? Why or why not?
NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Rewrite the following incomplete sentences carefully, so that the reader does not have to guess what is left out.
1. more and more books
2. too difficult
3. got up late, missed the bus
4. solved the mysteryNCERT English - Honeysuckle
How did Patrick help him? (7)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish? (2)NCERT English - Honeysuckle
Look at these sentences.
1. “Too boring”, he said.
2. Cleaned his room, did his chores.
When we speak, we often leave out words that can easily be guessed. We do not do this when we write unless we are trying to write as we speak (as in the story).
So, if we were to write carefully, we would say:
● “Homework is too boring,” he said.
● He cleaned his room and did his chores.NCERT English - Honeysuckle