Q. 64.3( 3 Votes )
Explain with the
(a) A nematode Meloidogyne incognita is known to cause root rot in tobacco plant
- Initially nematocides were used to deal with this nematode.
- But later on, the scientists modified the tobacco crop and adopted a method to kill the nematode called the RNA interference (RNAi).
- In the RNAi mechanism, scientist introduced a host specific double standard DNA using Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
- The DNA had both sense & antisense sequences so, that when transcription happen complementary RNA strands of both sense & antisense strands are produced.
- Both RNA strands being complementary forms double strands & gets chop-off since RNA of nematode gets inactivate.
(b) Golden rice is the example of genetically modified crops.
- β-carotene gene from daffodil plant was introduced into the rice plant, in order to nutritionally enrich it with vitamin A.
- β-carotene is the precursor of vitamin A.
Rate this question :
How has the use oBiology - Board Papers