Q. 35.0( 2 Votes )
Explain with suitable examples, the impact of British policies on the life of the tribals.
Impact of British on Tribals:
1. The tribal chiefs lost most of their administrative power in the tribe. They were forced to pay tribute to British and follow their laws.
2. The British tried to force the jhum cultivators to settle in a place and do plough cultivation. They wanted revenue and control. However, it was not completely successful.
3. British declared forest law where they made forests state property. This took away tribal people’s livelihood itself.
4. In some areas, the British let jhum cultivators stay in return for cheap labour.
5. Many traders and moneylenders started coming into the forest to get valuable forest produces like silk. They exploited the forest dwellers.
6. When they were forced to work for a living, they were hired in plantations and factories where they were paid miserable wages with long hours.
Rate this question :