Q. 165.0( 1 Vote )
Religious groups played a role in developing anti-colonial feelings:
1. Spread of Christianity through missionaries made many religious groups hostile. Scholars Revolt of 1868 was led by the officials of the imperial court.
2. Thousands of Catholics were killed in the Ngu An and Ha Tien provinces. Though the French suppressed the movement, many others were inspired.
3. Many anti-colonial movements came up through the local people who followed Confucianism, Buddhism, and local traditions.
4. Hoa Hao movement was led by Huynh Phu So who helped the poor and criticised gambling, the sale of child brides etc.
5. The French authorities called him Mad Bonze, put him into a mental asylum but even the doctors declared he is sane. The colonialists exiled him and his followers to Laos.
Explanation: Even though political parties didn’t get completely engaged with such religious groups, their role in generating anti-colonial feelings was significant.
Rate this question :