Q. 14.5( 13 Votes )
Explain why patri
1. In ancient India, elite families followed the system of patriliny which is a system through which descent from father to son is traced.
2. According to this system, the sons could claim the resources (including the throne in case of kings) of their father when the latter died.
3. In manusmriti it is mentioned that the eldest son would get a special share.
4. In Dharamshastras it was believed that only son can carry forward the dynasty and not daughters, and pray for son as a child.
5. The acquisition of throne was included in the heritance. After the king’s death his elder son is supposed to inherit the throne. Most of the royal families followed the patriliny since 600 B.C.
6. Elite families followed this system because it is mentioned in the mantras of rigveda and it possibly conflicts among the sons after their father’s death.
Rate this question :