Democracy has succeeded in maintaining dignity and freedom of citizens:
1. In comparison to other political systems, democracy promotes the dignity and freedom of its citizens the most. It gives the freedom of claiming rights.
2. All the transitions to democracy in history have taken place because of the realization on the part of people that everyone deserves dignity and freedom. Every democracy has these principles at its core.
3. Even if complete equality of dignity may not have been achieved, all democracies have achieved and progressed in implementing the rights legally. This has been achieved in various degrees in various democracies.
4. Long struggles have enabled the discriminated section of the society to fight for their rights. For example, women achieved the right to vote after a very long struggle. But democracy makes space for people to protest against what they wish to.
5. In India, caste-based inequalities have persisted for centuries. Some societies still discriminate against them but the legal framework of the country gives them the protection of the law.
Democracy is considered as the best political system because it lets its people have the say in decisions and protest against what they feel is wrong. Though an ideal democracy is impossible, it definitely allows changes to be made for the better. The people have the ultimate power. Freedom and dignity are ensured to all, at least in principle, in a democracy.
Rate this question :