Q. 65.0( 1 Vote )
Explain the socia
The social changes which took place in London which led to the need for underground railway were-
1. The population in the city of London expanded from the mid-18th century.
2. London underground railway was set up to persuade people to leave the city and live in garden suburbs to decongest and solve the housing problems in the city of London.
3. It solved the housing problem of the city partly.
4. The people were afraid to travel in it because the atmosphere in the compartments was a mixture of sulphur, coal dust and foul fumes from the gas lamps above; so the people moved were half-dead of asphyxiation and heat.
5. It was criticized because it led to demolishing of thousands of houses also.
It can be said that the increased population and lack of necessary living conditions provoked the need for underground railways.
Rate this question :