Explain the nation-building process of Germany.
Unification of Germany was a long and complicated event which took several years to build Germany as a strong and powerful nation. The following are some of the events of great significance in the process of unification of Germany.
1. The middle-class Germans made sincere efforts to unite the different regions of the German confederation governed by an elected Parliament in the year 1848.
2. A large group of landowners called Junkers of Prussia joined hands with the combined forces of military and the monarchy to repress this act of nation-building.
3. Otto Van Bismarck was called the architect of the German unification. He was the Chief Minister of Prussia. He was assisted by the Prussian army and bureaucracy.
4. Three wars with Austria in the year 1866, Denmark in 1866 and France in 1870-71, over a period of seven years finally ended with Prussian victory. This helped in the unification of Germany.
5. The Prussian King, William I became the emperor of Germany.
Thus, the nation-building process of Germany was done with the contribution of other personalities like the Grimm Brothers.
Rate this question :