Since its inception and independence in 1947, Pakistan has failed to create a stable democracy in the country. Power has shifted between democratically elected Presidents and military rule. Military has often been established when the socially dominant clergy, military and landowning aristocrats overthrew the democratic governments.
• General Ayub Khan took over the administration of the country and was also elected once Pakistan framed its constitution.
• He was followed by a military takeover under General Yahya Khan who faced the crisis of 1971 and lost control of the erstwhile East Pakistan after losing the war to India.
• This was followed by an elected government under Zulfikkar Ali Bhutto from 1971 to 1977.
• General Zia ul Haq removed this government in 1977 but was faced by a pro-democracy movement from 1982.
• This led to the establishment of the Benazir Bhutto government in 1982 through elections.
• This phase lasted till 1999 when General Pervez Musharaff removed the then Prime Minister Nawaz Shariff. The General got himself elected as the President in 2001.
• Since then Pakistan has been ruled by the military.
Rate this question :
Describe the threPolitical Science - Board Papers
Mention any fourPolitical Science - Board Papers
Analyze any threePolitical Science - Board Papers
Analyze the biggePolitical Science - Board Papers
What does hide stPolitical Science - Board Papers
Explain the meaniPolitical Science - Board Papers