(a) Restriction to Entry-
● It is not possible for permitting entry into this industry.
● Even if a new fIrm is admitted into this industry, the Monopoly will itself remove it.
● This barrier to entry may be legal such as licensing or due to the restrictions created by the firm in the form of the cartel.
● This allows the monopolist firm to earn an abnormal profit or loss in the long run.
● For example, the production of many defense goods is a Monopoly of the government.
(b) Price Discrimination-
● A monopoly has the power to exercise price discrimination.
● Price discrimination refers to the practice of selling the same commodity to different customers at different prices.
● For example, a doctor may charge a lesser fee for the poor and higher fees from the others.
Rate this question :
What is the minimEconomics - Board Papers