Q. 35.0( 2 Votes )
Explain the distribution of petroleum mineral in India.
Petroleum is a fossil fuel. It is obtained from Sedimentary rocks below the surface of the earth.
Formation of Petroleum:
Over a period of time, the dead remains of animals and plants that are buried under the surface of the earth get mixed with other sediments. Due to high temperature and pressure, these remains become fossil fuels such as crude oil and natural gas.
Distribution of Petroleum:
1. The states of Maharashtra, Assam, Gujarat, and Rajasthan accounts for ninety percent of the country’s petroleum production.
2. The three main basins where petroleum is distributed are:
a. Cambay basin which lies in Gujarat
b. Upper Assam
c. Bombay High
3. The major oil wells in Upper Assam are found in Naharkatia, Moran, Digboi, Sibsagar, and Rudrasagar regions. It has to be noted that Digboi is the oldest oil field in India.
4. The major oil wells that are in the Cambay basin are Ankaleshwar, Kosamba, Dhalka, Nawagam, Mahasena, and Sobhasan.
5. Bombay High lies at distance of 167 km to the north west of Mumbai.
6. Besides the major basins, there are some other areas where we can find abundant petroleum reserve.
7. They are Ganga valley, Andaman Islands, Krishna-Godavari basin, Cauvery basin, Tripura-Nagaland belt, and Rajasthan.
Crude oil which is obtained from the reserves is refined to form petrol, diesel, kerosene, etc.,
Since petroleum is an exhaustible and non-replenishable mineral, it is our responsibility to use this wisely to achieve sustainable development.
Rate this question :
Describe the contribution of mineral to the Indian economy.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Mark the following in map-
(a) Coalfield of India
(b) Important mineral of RajasthanRajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the distribution of coal in India.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the distribution of copper in India.Rajasthan Board Social Science
Which are atomic minerals?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Which types of iron ores are found in India?Rajasthan Board Social Science
In what forms, Indian mineral is classified?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the distribution of iron ore in India.Rajasthan Board Social Science
In which districts fuel minerals are found in Rajasthan?Rajasthan Board Social Science
Explain the distribution of lignite coal Rajasthan.Rajasthan Board Social Science