Hyderabad was the Largest princely state of India which was ruled by Nizam. Nizam led to tyrannical ways & aspired to set up a Muslim dominion rather than integration with India
1. He wanted an independent status for Hyderabad & thus entered into the negotiation of a standstill agreement with India.
2. But the people revolted against Nizam’s rule, particularly the peasants of Telangana due to his worst oppression measures.
3. Nizam responded on popular movement by unleashing a para-military force. 150,000 soldiers were mobilized by Nizam to fight against the Indian Union
4. They murdered, maimed, raped and looted, targeting particularly the non-Muslims
5. In Sep 1948, Indian army under operation Polo invaded Hyderabad state & overthrew its Nizam, annexing the state merged it into the Indian Union.
Rate this question :