Q. 173.7( 3 Votes )
Explain the advantages of non-conventional sources of energy.
Energy resources can be classified on a variety of basis like nature of their transaction, availability, etc. The most important classification is based on the conventionality in deriving the energy. According to this, energy resources are of two types –
a) Conventional energy resources
b) Non-conventional energy resources.
For a long time, humankind has been dependent on conventional sources of energy to propel their development. But the finite nature of such sources has created a demand and supply gap in this world which has resulted in a variety of problems that include discrepancies in development, war mongering, ill-effects on environment etc. In such a scenario, non-conventional energy resources play a very important role as alternative energy sources. The following points describe the advantages that such sources of energy have.
Advantages of non-conventional sources of energy
• These sources are infinite sources of energy (sun, wind, rivers, organic matter, etc.) and contribute towards reduction of dependence on finite conventional energy resources, such as oil, natural gas, coal, etc.
• These sources are environment and human-friendly nature.
• They have better equal geographical distribution than conventional sources leading to the decentralisation of the energy system, making it possible for energy needs to be met at the regional and local level, thus relieving the pressure on infrastructure systems (electricity grids, roads, etc.) and reducing the losses from energy transmission.
• They cover a wider range of energy uses from individual level to industrial level. (Solar power can be used for solar cookers as well as to generate thermal power for a factory)
• With low operating costs and lower levels of influence by international markets, it is an economic boon for developing and under developed countries in the world.
• These energy sources are having the ability to create jobs at the local level as the plants and other technological needs are local based.
From the above points it is evident that non-conventional energy sources are advantageous in the log run not only for individuals but the countries as well as the world as a whole.
Rate this question :
Where is an experimental geothermal energy project located in India?Together With Social Science
What is open pit mining?All In One - Geography
“There is an urgent need to develop a sustainable path of energy development.” Give two broad measures for it. As concerned citizens, how can you help conserve energy?
How is energy a basic requirement for the economic development of the country? Explain with examples.Social Science - Board Papers