Q. 84.4( 5 Votes )
Explain how can you measure frictional force?
Frictional force can be measured by spring balance method.
SPRING BALANCE METHOD:
1. Place a wooden block on a table and connect it to a spring balance. Ensure that the spring is parallel to the table.
2. Pull the spring balance slowly until the block begins to slide.
3. The load on the spring balance when the block begins to slide is a measure of the static friction.
4. The reading on the spring balance when the block continues to slide is a measure of the sliding friction.
5. We can also measure the coefficient of friction ;
μ = spring force/normal force.
Frictional force can be measured if we know he friction coefficient of a surface. Consider a surface having a coefficient of friction as μ.
Frictional force = μ × Normal force acting on the surface(load)
Rate this question :
Explain why sliding friction is less than static friction?AP - Physics & Chemistry
If you push a heavy box which is at rest, you must exert some force to start its motion. However, once the box is sliding, you can apply a lesser force to maintain that motion. Why?AP - Physics & Chemistry
Seetha is observing a moving bus with the luggage on its top. As the bus is moving slowly there is a change in the state of luggage on its top. But when the bus speeds up and starts moving fast, she noticed that the luggage on the top of the bus fell to the back of the bus. This raised many doubts in her mind regarding the effect of a frictional force acting on the luggage as well as on the tyres of the bus. Can you guess the questions raised in her mind? Write them.AP - Physics & Chemistry
Imagine that friction has disappeared from the earth. What will happen? Explain.AP - Physics & Chemistry
What ways do you suggest to reduce friction?AP - Physics & Chemistry
Explain how can you measure frictional force?AP - Physics & Chemistry