Q. 245.0( 1 Vote )
Explain common bu
● The term ‘Common but differentiated responsibilities’ means that ‘the states shall cooperate in the spirit of global partnership to conserve, protect and restore the health and integrity of the earth’s ecosystem.
● Every country must work for the protection of the environment and cooperate in the spirit of global partnership to restore the health and integrity of the earth’s system.
● However, this responsibility lies more in the hands of developed countries.
● The developed countries of the North discussed the environmental issues and want everyone to be equally responsible for ecological conservation.
● However, the developing countries of South argue that much of the environmental degradation is due to industrial development which was undertaken by all the developed countries.
● The above idea was accepted in the Rio Summit 1992.
● The Summit also produced conventions dealing with climate change, biodiversity, forestry.
● It recommended a list of developed practices called Agenda 21.
● The 1992 United Nation’s Framework Convention on Climatic Change
● (UNFCCC) also emphasised that the countries should try to protect the climate system on the basis of common but differentiated responsibilities.
● An international agreement was set up for the industrialised countries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions which support for global warming.
● This agreement was called the Kyoto Protocol.
Rate this question :