Q. 285.0( 1 Vote )
Explain any five
Rights of consumers against exploitation in the market place is as follows –
1. Right to Safety – While using many goods and services, consumers have the right to be protected against the marketing of goods and delivery of services that are hazardous to life and property. Goods and services that require special attention include – pressure cookers that have a safety valve. Any defects can cause a serious accident. Therefore, manufacturer needs to ensure high quality.
2. Right to be informed – Consumers have the right to be informed about the particulars (date of expiry, manufacture, ingredients etc.) of the goods and services they purchase. In case of any defects, the consumers can ask for compensation or replacement of the product. For example – selling of medicines after expiry can lead to severe action against the seller.
3. Right to choose – Any consumer who receives a service in whatever capacity, regardless of age, gender and nature of service, has the right to choose whether to continue to receive the service.
4. Right to seek redressal – Consumers have the right to seek redressal against unfair trade practices and exploitation in the marketplace. Various organizations such as consumer forums or consumer protection councils have been set up to guide consumers regarding the filing of cases in consumer courts. They also create awareness among people and are usually financially backed by the government.
5. Right to represent – Consumers have the right to be represented in consumer courts that have been set up to look into consumer disputes and issues related to compensation. The three-tier quasi-judicial mechanism at the district, state, and national level have been set up to cater to the demands of the consumers. Additionally, separate departments of consumer affairs at the central and state level have been organized in order to spread necessary information among people.
NOTE - The marketplace is not free from corrupt and exploitative practices. Exploitation takes place in various forms and consumers are often the victims of this trap. Therefore, a set of consumer rights are essential to provide protection to the consumers as well as promote free and fair trade practices.
Rate this question :