Energy resources can be classified into conventional and non-conventional sources. Conventional sources are those energy sources which have been in usage for a long time. Firewood and fossil fuels are the two main sources. But both these have many disadvantages. These sources – especially fossil fuels – are non-renewable sources. Also, the persistent use of these energy sources results in pollution of the environment. Thus it is better to rely on non-conventional energy sources.
Non-conventional sources include energy sources like solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear and other sources of energy generation. The major advantages of non-conventional sources over conventional sources are:
• Non-polluting: The major advantage of these non-conventional sources is that they are non-polluting, unlike the other sources. The burning of firewood and fossil fuels result in air pollution. This can be avoided by using these non-conventional sources.
• Inexhaustible: The major problem while using conventional sources especially fossil fuels is that they are exhaustible sources. It takes millions of years for them to be renewed and replenished. But non-conventional sources are renewable sources that do not get exhausted.
• Safe: Non-conventional energy extraction is safer. Many accidents occur while extracting energy from mines. These accidents can be completely avoided.
• Low cost: The cost of energy production and extraction is much lesser for non-conventional sources if the initial cost of establishment is borne.
• Energy production: The non-conventional sources especially nuclear energy results in the production of huge quantities of energy compared to the conventional energy sources.
Rate this question :